In order to describe what I
think characterizes a successful online social situation, I think it
will be somewhat easier to start with the characterization of an unsuccessful
online social situation. Both because the human brain seems to pay more attention
towards the negative and also because it's my response to unsuccessful online
social situations that have been the starting point for getting myself thrown
into this ethnographic exploration of my social media use in the first place.
So what characterizes
an unsuccessful online social
situation?
Let me try and answer that
by describing the last time I engaged in an online social situation - and
actually felt it affect my mood and made my stomach hurt (in an emotional
sense).
Last night I posted a
comment on a post inside a closed group on Facebook. The content of both the
post and the comment was about something work related and is in fact not that
important. However what is important
is that from the moment I posted the comment, I was expecting a response. In
fact I was expecting several responses from the other group members. The
comment was both relevant, important and questioning (at least that's how I
felt about it when posting). But as it turned out, no one in the group seemed
to think the same. No one has responded to my comment yet (and it has been 22
hours by now), although several comments have been made referring to the
overall post. Every time a red flag lets me know about activity in the closed
group, I rush to check whether the new comment or like is a response to my
contribution. It wasn't. It isn't. And perhaps it never will be. My comment
stands alone; unanswered. And the interesting (yet frustrating) fact about it
is that I'm actually a bit upset about it. My lonely comment represents me and
the fact that no one cares to respond, reminds me of being rejected in a social
setting as a child. It reminds me of getting picked last for football in 3rd
grade and not getting invited to the girls' slumber parties in the 6th grade.
It feels like talking - but then second-guessing whether my words actually
translated into audio (or text), or if they just stayed inside my head. It in
fact makes me think about not belonging
(cf. Maslow 1987)
This all sounds very
dramatized, performed and overreacted, but I've chosen to be totally honest
about it, since this actually affects me. And the whole point of paying
attention to my social media use is to be straight-forward about both my
activities and my reactions towards the activities (or in this case: the lack of activities). So I guess
that is what this post is. A piece of diary-like honest-to-the-bone, social confession.
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar