mandag den 2. december 2013

BB #5 - "Thick Description"

The following is an attempt to combine 'thick description'[1] with a 'narrative account' (in terms of Goodall). Also, it is an attempt to try and separate 'thin' from 'thick' description, the 'emic'[2] term from the 'etic'[3] term and the 'researcher' from the 'participant' - since all of these pairs are very much relevant to both discuss and engage in, when being the researcher of my own social media use. I will try and do this by describing the same situation (serving the purpose of being a vignette[4]) - but on five different levels. I will start by describing it as if I was only the researcher, trying to grasp what is going on in the specific situation; using the etic approach (even though I use the personal pronoun, 'I'). Hopefully the describing of the situation will become more and more 'emic', personal and 'thick' as the levels unfold. 

At first glimpse it seems that I am simply typing on a keyboard on a laptop. I sometimes look from the keyboard to the screen integrated in the laptop. I look over my shoulder several times. I am in a public place, and there are people around. The people are talking to one another, but mostly they are engaging in typing on their own laptops and smartphones. The brightness on my laptop screen is low. I have my laptop close to me. It sits on the edge of the table in front of me.

At second glimpse it seems that I am engaging in something on the screen and not merely on the keyboard. I am in a classroom, and the people around me are my classmates. The typing corresponds with what is going on virtually; an encounter on the screen. I look over my shoulder several times, as if I am nervous or at least alert. It is as if I am keeping an eye on someone or something. I go back and forth from looking at my screen to looking over my shoulder. The people around me do not seem to pay much attention to my screen, since they engage in their own media use - however, I am very observant of where they look to. The brightness on my laptop screen and the fact that I keep my laptop close to me enables me to control the visibility of my screen in relation to my classmates. It seems I only want me to see what is going on.

At third glimpse it seems that I am chatting with someone on Facebook. There is a social encounter going on, where I type something, the other person responds and so it goes on. The communication goes both ways. It seems I'm not comfortable communicating like this (virtually) with the other people (physically) being in the room. Because of this discomfort, I look over my shoulder in order to check if someone is lurking. However, a lot of the people present are engaging in their own social Facebook encounters on either their laptops or their smartphones. But even though I see this, my concern is still: Will they look at my screen? I lower the brightness on my screen in order to make it harder for the people sitting behind me, to actually see what is going on. The same goes for the fact that I have pulled my laptop close to me; sitting on the edge of the table.

At fourth glimpse it seems I am afraid that someone might see what is going on in my conversation on Facebook with a friend. I do not wish people to read what I write in the message, as I feel it's private and no one else but me and the receiver should see it. It's my social encounter, my laptop, my social relation and my thoughts on writing; carefully thought through and edited several times. I feel as if my classmates are curiously lurking and crossing over from being external to my social encounter to being internal, involved and a part of it. I haven't allowed this. If I know they are looking, it will affect my way of writing. I keep looking over my shoulder to prevent intruders from looking at my conversation and laptop. I lower the brightness so that I make it difficult - hopefully impossible - for my classmates to read what it says in the message. I pull my laptop close to my body - once again to protect the message, my friend and me from exposure and public display of our shared privacy. The others need not to know what is going on, and I am going to make sure that they don't.

At fifth glimpse the entire situation, including shielding from the people around me and the emotions attached to the piece of social encounter on Facebook, could be an expression of the level of intimacy and privacy that I put into having a social encounter on Facebook. The fact that I feel strongly about people not lurking or 'intruding' says a lot about the relation I have with both the device on which the social encounter takes place (the laptop I need to 'protect') and the actual conversation on Facebook. I feel as if the encounter is personal, private and such a significant part of me that I go to actual physical lengths in order to keep the virtual social encounter separated from the physical setting, I am in (i.e. lowering the brightness on the screen and pulling the laptop close to me).


[1] "[...] investigate[s] the particular circumstances present in the scene, and only then move toward grander statements and theories (Geertz as described in Tracy, 2013, p. 3)
[2] "[...] which means that behavior is described from the actor's point of view and is context-specific" (Tracy, 2013, p. 21)
[3] "[...] in which researchers describe behavior in terms of external criteria that are already derived [...]" (Tracy, 2013, p. 21)
[4] "[...] a focused description of a series of events taken to be representative, typical, or emblematic [...] they exemplify a key argument or claim" (Tracy, 2013, p. 208)

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar