The purpose of this study is thus to try and
understand why I bother when no one
is responding to or is liking my comment. Why does the
count of likes and the response from others online define how well I feel about
a certain post on Facebook?
The purpose of this social-phenomenological[2]
(narrative, phenomenological, grounded theory, ethnographic, case, etc.) study
is (was? will be?) to explore and
understand (understand, describe, develop, discover) social interaction online (central phenomenon of the study) for myself (the participants) at Facebook. At this stage in
the research, the virtual-social topic
(central phenomenon) will be generally defined as Virtual Social Insanity? (a general definition of the central concept).
- Main question
"How do my social
interactions on Facebook play a part in my every day life?"
(my thesis temporarily being: My social
interaction online/virtually is not
(and cannot be) separated from my offline life/"reality". The online
interactions are very much "real").
- Sub-questions
"How would I describe a social situation
online?"
"What specific online situations do I
engage in on a daily basis?"
"What characterizes a successful online social situation?"
"What characterizes a successful online social situation?"
"What characterizes an unsuccessful online
social situation?"
Defining matters
I will need to define what both "online" and "virtual" mean,
including what the terms do not mean ("The common (mis)understanding
is experience is zero-sum: time spent online means less spent offline. We are
either jacked into the Matrix or not; we are either looking at our devices or
not."[3])
[1] "Socially related" refers to online interaction with others
(mediated and text based communication).
[2] A philosophy or method of inquiry based on the premise that reality
consists of objects and events as they are perceived or understood in human
consciousness and not of anything independent of human consciousness. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/phenomenological).
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar